Friday, January 15, 2010

Both of my daughters are amazing women. I didn't raise them to be amazing but they managed to be anyways. All five of our children became alpine ski racers. Kirsten, a severe asthmatic, raced through high school and college. Oftentimes after each run, the ski patrol would be waiting for her at the bottom of the hill with an oxygen tank as she collapsed struggling for breath. They usually suggested she forgo her second run, but she never quit. She would finish her second run with every ounce of energy she had and usually final in a respectable top seed.

Sarah, likes to climb mountains. She hiking most weekends to achieve the esteemed recognition as a 46er. (One who has reached the summit of all 46 Adirondack high peaks.) She has also been accepted as one of the 12 women globally who will be climbing the three highest peaks in Africa in a program called 3peaks 3 weeks in January 2011. Heroines indeed.

Who are your real life heroines? We write about women who are strong, independent, wise. Women who we relate to and admire. I know they aren't wholly fictitious.
Who are the true heroines in your life?

6 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Andrea,
Great blog. You must be so proud of your daughters. Good luck to both of them in their future endeavours.
Regards
Margaret

ALee Drake said...

Thank you, Margaret for stopping by. Yes, I'm very proud of them as well as other women in my life that have influenced me and earned my admiration. I gather qualities from these women to create my heroines. Do you have ladies who are the role models of characters for your novels?

P.L. Parker said...

Your daughters sound so amazing. How wonderful for you and them. As a mother of sons, I'm proud of their accomplishments, but envy those of you with daughters. What is the saying? "A daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life, a son is a son until he takes a wife," or something like that.

Mary Ricksen said...

People like best selling author Bonnie Vanak. She is a member of my local chapter.
She works for a worldwide charity organization and finds herself in the midst of yet another tragedy. Now she amazes me. I don't know how she can handle it, but she does. Even though it's obvious that there is grief from it in her huge heart.
Simply selfless, that's what she is.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Andrea,
Because I write historicals, I loosely base most of my heroines on my female ancestors who travelled from the British isles and carved out a life for themselves and their families in the harsh, untamed frontier of Australia. These fiesty ladies fought fires, drought, flood and loneliness as they stood by their men. A generation later, these women sent their sons to fight in Europe for mother England in World War 1. And of course, thousands of these young men never saw Australia again. They lie in France, Belgium and Turkey. I have visited their graves, and it is so sad, you could cry a million tears and it still wouldn't be enough.

Regards
Margaret

Unknown said...

You are one of my heroines. Your life is an example of overcoming obstacles, setting and accomplishing goals and making dreams a reality.
You are an amazing woman, and your daughters get it from you, silly!

About Me

My photo
My first published romance, Thistle Dew, was inspired by the daily subtle signs my Bestemor(grandma) sends to me to reassure me that she is still present in my life. The comfort her spiritual presence offers me encouraged me to share with others the idea to become aware of little occurances that may very well be signs that because someone that loves you has passed on, they are still with you, protecting you, guiding you, loving you.